Fuel Tax Master®

System Requirements

  • PC with Intel® Pentium® processor or equivalent AMD™ processor
  • Windows® 2000, XP, Vista or 7
  • 1 GB of RAM
  • HP Laserjet or compatible printer
  • High Speed Internet Connection (required for quarterly updates)

Frequently Asked Questions

Trip Entry
  • Q: I want to track beginning and ending trip odometers so that I do not have mileage gaps, but I do not want to enter an odometer reading for each state I travel. How should I configure the software?
    A: Select ‘Setup->Trip Entry Options’.  Then check ‘Start/End Odometer’ and ‘Display Prev. Date & Odometer.’  Click save.  Select ‘Setup->Data Verification Settings’ and check ‘Begin/End Trip Odometers.’  Click save.

    Q: What does the Axle/Weight on Mileage Listing option do?
    A: If you select the Axle/Weight on Mileage Listing option, you will be able to enter additional information for states that allow you to report at more than one combined gross weight for mileage taxes. Examples of such states include Idaho and Oregon. You will want to choose this option only if your vehicles are registered to operate at more than one weight in these states. When this is selected, you will be required to enter the number of axles (in the combination) and the gross weight for each trip line.

    Q: How does the Minimum/Maximum MPG/KPL option work?
    A: When you select the Minimum/Maximum MPG (or KPL) option, you can enter a default minimum and maximum MPG value for each type of vehicle that your company operates. For example, you might want to set 4.00 as a minimum MPG for a Tractor and 6.50 as a maximum MPG. When you add a unit, you are prompted to use the defaults, but you can choose to enter different values. Then, when you enter a trip for the unit, a message will display if the trip does not achieve an MPG within the default range. Also, when you run the Trip Information report, an error message will print for the unit, if its MPG for all trips selected on the report does not fall within the default range.

    Q: How do I transfer my data from my old Fuel Tax Master (version 2) into the new version?
    A:  Select ‘File->File Transfer->Import Access Database.’  Click ‘Browse’ to locate and select FTM.mdb.  Then click ‘Import.’  This procedure will vary in length depending on the amount of data to be imported.

  • Q: How can I send a report directly to the printer without previewing it?
    A: Select ‘Reports & Forms.’  Then right click on the report you wish to print, and select ‘Send to Printer.’

    Q: How can I print more than one report at a time?
    A: Select ‘Reports & Forms.’  Hold the CTRL key on your keyboard while clicking on the reports you want to print.  When all desired reports are selected, right click on one and select either ‘Print Preview’ or ‘Send to Printer.’  As you complete each report wizard, you will be presented with the reports.

    Q: I want to print a separate IFTA Form report for each of my fleets. How do I do this?
    A: In the Report Wizard for IFTA Form, select the individual company level for each report.

    Q: On my IFTA tax report the tax paid gallons column does not equal the total gallons amount at the end of the report. Why do the two amounts not match?
    A: There are several things that can cause the totals not to match.

    1. If your company purchased fuel in Oregon during the quarter the totals will not match. The tax paid column totals all the gallons for each line for each state. Since Oregon doesn't have a fuel tax, the line on the report for Oregon will print zeros for fuel, and therefore gallons purchased in Oregon will not be included in that total. Oregon gallons WILL be included in the total gallons, however, to give you the correct MPG.
    2. If you enter bulk fuel that the tax has already been paid on into the system those gallons will not be included in the tax paid total, but will be included in the total gallons to give you the correct MPG.
    3. If you have traveled in a Non-IFTA jurisdiction during the quarter (AK, HI, DC, MX, YT, NT) those gallons will not appear in the tax paid gallons total, but will appear in the total gallons column.

    Q: On the IFTA tax report the taxable miles do not equal the total miles for a particular state (usually Ohio), why?
    A: Some states have reportability requirements for units that are unique. For example, two-axle vehicles are not reportable in Ohio regardless of the GVW of the unit unless they are pulling a trailer. In this example, the miles or any units you have setup in the program as two-axle will appear in the total miles column for Ohio, but not the taxable miles column. Verify the IFTA reportability for each unit on the unit screen in the software is set up correctly.

    Q: I ran the State and Province Tax Report for a state and the total miles on that report do not equal the total miles on the IFTA Tax Report.  Why?
    A: The State and Province Tax Reports are designed for companies operating out of non-IFTA jurisdictions to use, printing out all the miles and gallons entered REGARDLESS of IFTA reportability requirements. The IFTA Tax Report will only show miles and gallons that are reportable for IFTA. These reports are designed for different purposes and may not balance.

    Q: I've entered in all my trips, and I can pull them up on the trip entry screen, but when I run my IFTA Tax Report nothing is printing or displaying (or not as many miles, and gallons as expected).  Why?
    A: The only miles and gallons that will print out on the IFTA Tax Report are those entered for units that are setup in the program as IFTA reportable. Check the setup of your units on the unit information screen.  Right-click on your unit from the list, and select ‘Edit Unit.’  Click on the ‘Rules’ tab.  Make sure ‘Is IFTA Reportable?’ is checked.

    Q: Not all miles are appearing on my IFTA Tax/IFTA Form reports.  Why?
    A: There are several things that can cause the totals not to match.

    1. Check the reportability information on all of your units to verify that they are all setup as IFTA reportable. Miles for units that are setup as not reportable will not appear on any IFTA reports.
    2. Make sure your trips were entered in the correct work month.
    3. Check the vehicle weights and number of axles for your units. Units under 26,000 lbs or less than 3 axles are not IFTA reportable.
    4. If you traveled in any Non-IFTA jurisdictions, those miles will not appear on the IFTA report.

    Q: The totals from the State and Province report do not match the totals on the IFTA Reports.
    A: The State and Province report include Non IFTA miles. The IFTA reports will only include IFTA miles.

    Q: The total from the Tax Paid Gallons column on the IFTA Tax Report does not match the Total Gallons amount in the summary portion of the report, why?
    A: There are several possible answers for this problem:

    1. Fuel was purchased in a Non-IFTA jurisdiction.
    2. Non-Receipted fuel was entered into the system.
    3. Tax Paid Bulk fuel was entered into the system.
    4. Trip Permit information was entered into the system.

    Q: Why is the Unit Tax report using a different MPG to calculate the tax than the IFTA reports?
    A: There are two (potentially three) MPG options for the Unit Tax Report: Corporate MPG, Selected Unit MPG, and Selected Level MPG.  When running the Unit Tax Report make sure the correct MPG calculation choice is selected.

  • Q: My drivers do not calculate miles for each jurisdiction. They just list the odometer readings. How do I enter odometer readings on the Trip Entry screen?
    A: Select ‘Setup->Trip Entry Options’ and select ‘Start/End Odometers’ and ‘Trip Line Odometers.’  Now in Trip Entry, the Start, Trip Line and End odometer text boxes will be available. Enter the start and end odometer readings for the trip. As you enter the odometer reading at point a driver left a jurisdiction in trip line odometers, the distance for each jurisdiction will be calculated.

    Q: How can I enter unladen or empty miles?
    A: Select ‘Setup->Trip Entry Options’ and check ‘Unladen Distance.’  Then in order to indicate a leg of a trip was Unladen, check the box in the E column in Trip Entry.

    Q: I would like to list my bulk fuel withdrawals. How can I do this?
    A: Select ‘Setup->Jurisdiction Control Settings.’ When the jurisdiction is selected, choose the tax status of the bulk fuel for the fuel type (either Tax Paid or Tax Not Paid), and then check the bulk listing box. Whenever a bulk fuel purchase is entered on the trip entry grid for that jurisdiction, the listing dialog box will automatically appear.

    Q: The fuel listing dialog box doesn't always automatically appear. Why?
    A: The fuel listing dialog box will appear if the unit is reportable/registered in the jurisdiction and the fuel listing check box is set to always, or you have optionally selected it for the jurisdiction. For instructions, see ‘Edit Listings’ in the Help file.

    Q: How do I enter Reefer fuel?
    A:  First, right-click on the unit and select ‘Edit Unit.’  Then click on the ‘Secondary Info’ tab.  On the bottom left, checkmark ‘Reefer Equipped.’  When entering fuel in a trip, enter the quantity, measurement, and information.  Ex. 100 gallons of reefer fuel is entered as 100GF.

    Q: What report can I run to charge back my Owner Operators for fuel and mileage taxes?
    A: Run the Unit Tax report. This will list the jurisdiction, total miles, gallons and fuel/surtax/mileage taxes per jurisdiction for each unit.  By adding the totals for the three taxes, you will determine the chargeback for each Owner Operator.

    Q: I entered my trips in the wrong Work Month.  Is there any way to transfer them?
    A: Yes!  Simply open the trip, and change the work month.  This will only work if a trip with an identical trip number is not already present for that unit in that work month.  If there is a duplicate already present, it is possible to change the trip number by right-clicking on the trip and selecting ‘Change Trip – Trip Number.’